Matt 7:7 "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:"(KJV)
Matt 7:8 "For every one that asketh receivethÖ"(KJV)
James 4:2 "Öye have not, because ye ask not." (KJV)
Matt 21:22 "And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive."
A. SOME WINDOW SHOP WHEN THEY PRAY
1. Some women can go shopping for a whole day and not buy anything.
2. They just go window shopping.
3. They look to see whatís available but they donít expect to get anything.
4. They donít expect to bring anything home.
5. Some people pray like that.
6. They can pray all day and not expect to get anything.
7. They arenít praying to get anything. Theyíve been taught not to.
8. They pray the Rosary, or some other repetitious thing.
9. Or perhaps theyíve been told to just praise God without asking.
B. PART OF PRAYING IS ASKING
1. God says ASK!
2. Part of praying is asking!
3. There are two Greek words which mean "ask."
4. Eperotao = means to inquire or to ask questions about something
5. Aiteo = to ask, beg, crave, or call for
6. Matt 7:7 tells us to request or call for things from God
C. SOME DONíT BELIEVE THAT PRAYER CHANGES
1. They donít accept the plain teaching from the Scriptures.
2. They donít accept prayer as asking and receiving.
3. They donít accept prayer as seeking and finding.
4. They donít accept prayer as knocking and the door opening.
5. They donít accept that one of Godís names is "THOU THAT HEAREST PRAYER."
6. They donít come to God believing that He is "a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
D. SOME MOCK US FOR ASKING GOD FOR THINGS
1. They tell us that God is not some big Santa Claus up in the sky.
2. They are right! My God is not some big Santa Claus!
3. Santa Claus could never do what my God has done for me.
4. My God is much more than a Santa Claus!
5. My God is JEHOVAH JIREH - MY PROVIDER! (Can I have a good Amen?)
6. They claim theyíve gone on to maturity and donít ask for things anymore.
7. Thatís not showing maturity. Thatís showing immaturity!
8. The simple teaching of the Word of God is "GOD SAYS ASK!"
9. Itís not maturity when one contradicts the Scriptures.
10. Theyíve gone on to IMMATURITY!
11. It's called false doctrine!
I. WHAT PRAYER IS NOT!
A. NOT JUST ADORATION, MEDITATION, AND HUMILIATION
1. Prayer involves ASKING!
2. Prayer may include other things, but primarily, GOD SAYS TO ASK!
3. We are to ask for daily bread. (Matt 6:11)
4. We are to ask God for forgiveness of sin. (Matt 6:12)
5. We are to ask for Godís direction in our lives. (Matt 6:13)
6. We are to ask for deliverance from evil. (Matt 6:13)
7. Donít ever be ashamed to ask God for what you need.
B. PRAYER IS NOT JUST ADORATION
1. Adoration is good.
2. Every Christian ought to adore the Lord.
3. Every Christian ought to express his adoration to God in praise and worship.
4. But, Adoration should never take the place of asking God to meet needs.
C. PRAYER IS NOT MEDITATION
1. It is proper to meditate day and night in the Word of God.
2. But, some people confuse Bible Study and meditation with prayer.
3. You need them both!
4. Furthermore, Iím not talking about Transcendental Meditation.
5. Iím not talking about some mystical trance when I speak of meditation.
6. Iím talking about studying and memorizing the Word of God.
7. Iím talking about applying the Word of God to your life as you read it.
D. PRAYER IS NOT HUMILIATION
1. It is also proper for a Christian to HUMBLE HIMSELF IN THE SIGHT OF THE LORD.
2. James 4:10 "Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." (KJV)
3. Humbling yourself before God is a good and proper thing to do, but it is not prayer.
4. Remember, God says to ASK!
5. Some people think it is humble to refuse to ask!
6. Thatís not humility, thatís disobedience!
7. God says ask, and if you are humble, you will ask!
II. BIBLE PEOPLE WHO ASKED
A. THE PUBLICAN (Luke 18:14)
1. In the temple he prayed, "God be merciful to me a sinner."
2. He went down to his house justified.
3. That means, he received Godís mercy and was saved.
B. BLIND BARTEMAEUS (Mark 10:47)
1. As Jesus passed by, he shouted, "Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me."
2. Then he prayed, "Lord, that I might receive my sight." (Mark 10:51)
3. He asked and he received.
4. He sought and he found.
5. He knocked on the door of healing and it was opened.
C. THE SYROPHENICIAN WOMAN (Matt 15:22&25)
1. She cried out to Jesus, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David, my daughter is
grievously vexed with a devil." (Matt 15:22)
2. She prayed, "Lord, help me!" (Matt 15:25)
3. She kept praying and asking until she got what she asked for.
4. She asked for her daughter to be healed and she received it.
D. CONTRAST THESE TO THE PRAYER OF THE
1. Luke 18:11-12
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as
other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. (KJV)
2. He prayed in public long and loud.
3. He prayed to be seen and heard of men.
4. He gave a lot of thanksgiving, but he didnít ask for anything.
5. In all his praying, he forgot to ask for mercy!
6. The other man, the publican, who was obviously not very famous for his piety and religion,
was the man who asked for and received mercy.
7. This religious leader, didnít ask for it and didnít get it.
8. The religious leader was WINDOW SHOPPING.
9. The poor publican was PRAYING. Which do you do?
III. PRAYER INCLUDES ASKING
A. NOT A BUS TOUR, BUT A TRUCK ROUTE
1. Some talk of prayer as if it was just a big bus tour.
2. They come to church, they get in a group and they all act like they're talking to God.
3. They use the biggest words they have in their religious vocabulary.
4. It may sound pretty, it may seem nice; but what have you got when itís over with?
5. Prayer is NOT A BUS TOUR where you just look at all the pretty things!
6. Prayer is a TRUCK ROUTE!
7. You drive up to the loading dock, you load up the truck, and you come home with the goods!
8. Prayer is asking and receiving!
9. God says to ASK!
B. WHEN YOU ORDER FOOD YOU DONíT QUOTE
1. You donít go into a restaurant and say, "Roses are red, violets are blue, Iíd like a pizza
and a big coke too!"
2. If you have more sense than to treat a waitress like that, then why do you want to treat
God like that?
3. Why donít you just get down to the business of asking Him for what you need?
C. BEGGARS DONíT TRY TO BE FANCY
1. When a beggar comes up to you on the street and asks you for some change, he doesnít
start out by saying, "By the way, did you see the lovely sunset this evening?"
2. He doesnít get an engraved plaque or a high gloss sign to stand along the road.
3. He simply asks you for what he needs.
4. If a beggar has enough sense to cut to the question, then why donít we?
5. God doesnít answer us based on how well we ask.
6. God answers us based on whether or not we ask in faith believing!
7. Heb.11:6 says, "He that cometh to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder
of them that diligently seek Him."
8. He rewards us because we have faith that He will do so, not because we asked in a more
pleasant manner than the last petitioner.
Brothers and sisters, learn to ask God for what you want and then go home with it! Learn to ask God for things when you pray! GOD SAYS TO ASK!
This page has been viewed times since 10/14/99