Gal 5:13 "For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another." (KJV)
I. CALLED UNTO LIBERTY
A. SOME ARE AFRAID TO PREACH LIBERTY
1. They fear that it will lead people to sin and self-indulgence
2. Sadly, this is sometimes true.
3. But, the majority will go on to have a happier and more devoted Christian walk.
4. They will go on to a walk that is based on love rather than on bondage to the law of sin
B. WOULD YOU KEEP YOUR CHILDREN HUNGRY
1. What parent would want to keep his child hungry just to make sure the child stayed dependent
on the parent?
2. Why should a preacher withhold your liberty just to make sure you stayed dependent on God?
3. God doesnít need it.
4. God sets you free from bondage and expects you to walk in love.
II. LIBERTY IS NO EXCUSE FOR
A. THE GOAL OF GRACE
1. Not freedom TO sin
2. But, freedom FROM sin
B. LIBERTY FROM THE LAW OF SIN AND DEATH
1. Weíve been set free from the law so we can live a godly life
2. Just because Christ sets us free to do so doesnít mean we will.
3. Thatís why we have this command
III. BY LOVE SERVE ONE
A. FLESH DRAWS ATTENTION TO ITSELF
1. It demands that itís own desires be fulfilled and met
2. See the list of the works of the flesh (v.19-21)
B. LOVE DRAWS ATTENTION TO OTHERS
1. Love causes us to want to help others
2. Love desires the welfare of others more than our own welfare.
3. We may not be called upon to give our lives for someone, but we are continually called upon
to give a portion of our lives for others.
a. We are expected to give our money to help others
b. We are expected to give our time to help others
C. PSYCHOLOGISTS TELL US WE HAVE INBORN DRIVES
1. Do you know which drive they say is the strongest?
2. It is the drive for self preservation.
3. This drive has a tendency to cause us to be selfish.
4. We want to get all we can, can all we get, and poison the rest!
D. THE DRIVE FOR SELF PRESERVATION
1. This is one of the strongest inborn human traits
2. It goes against this drive to put others first
3. We need a NEW NATURE to overcome this drive
4. Then, by LOVE, we can "serve one another."