5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
I. THE LORD IS THE SOURCE
A. PSALM 23:5 SPEAKS OF A HOST PREPARING A TABLE
1. The psalmist sees himself as a weary traveler.
2. The Lord leads him and prepares a table for him.
3. The Lord anoints his head with oil, soothing him and cleaning him.
B. THE HOST FILLS THE CUP UNTIL IT OVERFLOWS
1. Every kindness is shown to the traveler.
2. The Lord's hospitality exceeds all others.
II. THE LORD PROVIDES WATER
A. A "CUP" WAS GENERALLY USED FOR DRINKING WATER
1. A cup is something that you drink out of.
2. The Israelites lived in a desert climate.
3. Water was one of the most precious commodities of all.
4. For someone to give you of their water was to give life to you.
5. The Lord provides ample water, even in the desert.
B. WATER IS ALSO SYMBOLIC OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
37 ...If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
1. God provides ample spiritual blessings to those
who seek him.
2. You may feel like you are in a dry place, but the Lord can still quench your thirst.
3. The Lord can give you water even in the midst of a spiritual desert.
III. HIS BLESSINGS ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH
A. MY CUP RUNNETH OVER
1. This seems unnecessary.
2. To have the cup full, or a little less than full is enough for us.
3. It may be enough for us, but not for God.
4. The Lord delights in filling it; and when we bid Him stop, he keeps on pouring.
5. He pours until the water overflows.
6. He not only quenches our thirst, He does more than enough!
7. He does more than we could do for ourselves.
8. He does more than we deserve.
9. Our cup runneth over.
(CAN I HAVE A GOOD AMEN!)
B. AN OVERFLOWING SUPPLY OF FISH
4 Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught...
6 And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.
7 And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.
1. Not just a catch of fish but a net breaking, boat
sinking load of fish
2. HE MADE THEIR CUP OVERFLOW WITH HIS BLESSINGS
C. AN OVERFLOWING SUPPLY OF FORGIVENESS
9 Whether is it easier to say to the sick of the palsy, Thy sins be forgiven thee; or to say, Arise, and take up thy bed, and walk?
10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
11 I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.
12 And immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went forth before them all; insomuch that they were all amazed, and glorified God, saying, We never saw it on this fashion. (KJV)
1. Not just forgiveness but healing besides.
2. He didn't just forgive the man.
3. He also healed him to prove that he had been forgiven
4. JESUS GAVE HIM AN OVERFLOWING SUPPLY
D. AN OVERFLOWING SUPPLY OF FOOD
36 And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.
37 And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken meat that was left seven baskets full.
38 And they that did eat were four thousand men, beside women and children.
1. NOT JUST ENOUGH to go around but 7 baskets full
2. HE GAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH
3. Jesus gave them an overflowing supply.
E. AN OVERFLOWING ANSWER TO OUR PRAYERS
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (KJV)
1. There are some things in the Greek which we have
no way of translating into English
2. This passage that says,"I will do it" in the NIV and "that will I do" in KJV
3. "I will" or "I shall" is the strongest assertion of doing something in the English.
4. The translators did the best they could with our language
5. But, the Greek actually portrays a meaning of "If you will ask anything in my name, if I
don't have it, I'LL MAKE IT FOR YOU!
6. HE'S THE GOD OF ABUNDANCE
7. He gives a promise here that is more than we even understand.
8. He causes our cup to overflow.
F. MORE THAN ENOUGH LIFE FOR YOU AND ME
10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. (KJV)
1. Not just life, but abundant life
2. He saved Saul of Tarsus
3. He saved a man in Socorro who carried drugs and machine guns.
4. He saved alcoholics and restored their families. (He can't save me)
5. HE'S THE GOD WHO GIVES MORE THAN ENOUGH
There's no people He can't feed
There's no man that He can't save
There's no sickness He can't heal
HE'S THE GOD WHO IS MORE THAN ENOUGH
OUR CUP RUNNETH OVER!